Jupyter startup issues

Hi everyone,

I was going to write a novel about Jupyter startup issues, but, ended up figuring out the problem after some debugging, so I’ll just give you a warning that Jupyter’s notebook module version 5.7.* is broken for the remote access that OOD requires with the config option c.NotebookApp.ip = ‘*’.

If you get error as:
File “/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/installdir/python/3.7.3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py”, line 528, in get
value = obj._trait_values[self.name]
KeyError: ‘allow_remote_access’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/installdir/python/3.7.3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py”, line 864, in _default_allow_remote
addr = ipaddress.ip_address(self.ip)
File “/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/installdir/python/3.7.3/lib/python3.7/ipaddress.py”, line 54, in ip_address
address)
ValueError: ‘’ does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address

most likely you use notebook version 5.7.*. Install newer version (currently 6.0.3) or go back to 5.6.0.

HTH,
MC

1 Like

@mcuma thanks for the heads up to the rest of the community!

Yea in troubleshooting this issue in UGE Jupyter launch fails for UGE I happened to stumble across this ticket in jupyter https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/issues/4715 which someone says just a jupyter's update. but doesn’t seem to indicate why it was updated.

Did setting c.NotebookApp.ip = '0.0.0.0' happen to solve your issue? I think that config should backport to older versions as well. or maybe we should start supplying ${host} (which is just $(hostname)) there instead.

If I recall right setting c.NotebookApp.ip = ‘0.0.0.0’ only allowed localhost to access the Jupyter so it did not work for OOD.

Browsing the internet and the fast ai forum, it looks like indeed this error comes from using c.NotebookApp.ip = '*'.

Though I think 0.0.0.0 should work because that binds to all interfaces on the compute node and I assume one of them should be external.

Anyhow, I hope you solved your problem! Let us know if you’re still having issues.