Looking for some debugging tips re: rstudio app on el8

Thanks! That was actually the last thing I tried, real quick, on the way out the door; so it was and still is “less than” (rather than the previous “not equal to”) but apparently that move alone was not sufficient. Though I think perhaps this isn’t being run, ever? My evidence is that I can tuck an echo/touch/etc statements into the top of the auth script, and nothing ever gets echoed/touched/written…!?

#!/usr/bin/env bash
date > /home/jtb49/auth-touch.txt
# Confirm username is supplied
if [[ $# -lt 1 ]]; then
  echo "Usage: auth USERNAME"
  exit 1
fi

Starting to throw spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks, I tried omitting the --server-data-dir parameter and “moved” its intention (for lack of a better phrase) to the binding during the singularity execution:

singularity run -B "$TMPDIR:/tmp,$TMPDIR/rstudio-server:/var/run/rstudio-server"

…but this didn’t work either. So I tried ejecting singularity from the equation and, instead, firing up rserver directly by copying charles8ronson’s rserver line:

rserver \
 --www-port "${port}" \
 --auth-none 0 \
 --auth-pam-helper-path "${RSTUDIO_AUTH}" \
 --auth-encrypt-password 0 \
 --rsession-path "${RSESSION_WRAPPER_FILE}" \
 --server-data-dir "${TMPDIR}" \
 --secure-cookie-key-file "${TMPDIR}/rstudio-server/secure-cookie-key"

…except for one change: his code was missing the trailing slash on the “–server-data-dir” line (which I assume was a typo and so I’ve added it in mine, above. All of these yielded the same “bad auth” web page. I only have that one clue, which is literally nothing: the absense of any proof that ‘auth’ is running, as mentioned above.

I also have to agree with the very last post currently in that thread: there’s a very frustrating lack of logging surrounding the auth/rsession stuff. My compute node has a literally empty /var/log/messages and none of my debug hooks get written to ~ or TMPDIR or anywhere. :frowning: Here’s a grab bag of places they might have gone as I’ve changed directory targets for this-or-that, and there’s no trace of what’s going on, so far.

$ find /var/log/rstudio-server /tmp/rstudio-* /tmp/jtb49 ~/rstudio-*
/var/log/rstudio-server
/tmp/rstudio-rsession
/tmp/rstudio-server
/tmp/rstudio-server/secure-cookie-key
/tmp/jtb49
/tmp/jtb49/35146788
/tmp/jtb49/35146788/tmp.NSGa3G1IVt
/tmp/jtb49/35146788/tmp.NSGa3G1IVt/rstudio-server
/tmp/jtb49/35146788/tmp.NSGa3G1IVt/rstudio-server/secure-cookie-key
/tmp/jtb49/35146788/tmp.NSGa3G1IVt/rstudio-rsession
/tmp/jtb49/35146788/tmp.NSGa3G1IVt/revocation-list
/home/jtb49/rstudio-rsession
/home/jtb49/rstudio-server
/home/jtb49/rstudio-server/rstudio-rsession
/home/jtb49/rstudio-server/revocation-list

Thanks again for everyone who’s chipped in!