Email On Session Start Not Sending Emails

OOD Version: 3.0.1

We recently did OS updates on our node that runs OnDemand. Now, the “email on session start” option doesn’t send an email. We did identify an issue with postfix not being configured correctly but that has been solved. Using this command from another thread:
echo “TEST” | mail -s TEST brad.traver
I verified that emails are working. However, whenever I start a job with the “send email on session start” box checked, no email is sent. Nothing shows up in the postfix logs so it seems like OnDemand isn’t even attempting to send an email. I’m not sure what to check next. Thanks!

The scheduler sends the emails, not the OnDemand system/webserver.

All we do is pass --mail-type=BEGIN (or similar) to sbatch (or similar) and let the scheduler do it’s thing.

1 Like

If I add --mail-type=BEGIN to the submit script, won’t that do start emails for every job?

I don’t think so - I think it’s specific to that job.

But you don’t need to add it to the submit script because when you check that checkbox for email on starting the system passes the CLI flag to sbatch when it submits the job. You can check your /var/log/ondemand-nginx/$USER/error.log for execve commands to confirm.

What specifically does it pass to sbatch? I didn’t see anything in /var/log/ondemand-nginx/brad.traver/error.log that matched.