Interactive "module avail" button in form.yml and Job Viewer

Thank you all for putting together what looks to be a very interesting Tips and Tricks call topic for March 7. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Best,

Julie

Julie Ma

Program Director, MGHPCC

Open OnDemand Community Engagement

CAREERS/Northeast Cyberteams

AskCI/ConnectCI

413-552-4967

My working hours may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal working hours.

Thanks again for the talk @stdweird and for facilitating @mcuma and OOD folks! This was extremely informative! Happy to see that it was implemented in OOD 3.0, and I think a “module browser” would be a great feature!

Stijn, I’d be happy to collaborate with you regarding next steps if you’re going to put some cycles into it. Especially an interactive “Module Browser”. I think that would provide significant value to our institution and others. :smile:

Again, thank you all!

Cheers,
Walid

Sorry that nobody from OSC was on this thread! But yes, as mentioned in the call, this was added in 3.0 and the documentation for auto_modules is below.

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/how-tos/app-development/interactive/form.html#auto-bc-form-options

1 Like

hi jeff,

good to know that this option is availabel. i’ll see how it works (does it hide clsuters that don’t have the sofwtare?). when migrating to 3.X, i will have to investigate the true meaning of cluster in ondemand. in some cases it’s more a cluster partition then an actual (slurm) cluster.

stijn

hi walid,

i don’t mind discussing this, but i guess it’s better to do this in an issue in ondemand. the devs have to shine some light on the possibilities in ruby how to do this. eg a module dropdown with 1000+ modules is too static, so you need some javascript powered help to avoid having to push this to the browser. something like django-select2 (but without django).
if i would tackle this, i would write eg a streamlit webapp, and then try to add it as an iframe or something to the portal. i’ve been doing some streamlit work lately, it has all the bells and whistles to make it work and probably not that much code (eg streamlit searchbox), but it’s not a ruby app; and thus would need separate webservice/systemd unit that is then accessed by the portal in some way. anyway, i’m willing to discuss it, but best in an issue or in separate thread

stijn