Not able to reconnect to interactive desktops

Hi all,

Able to start interactive application / desktop without issue. If I disconnect / close out my browser, login go to “My interactive sessions”, click button “launch desktop”. I get “New connection has been rejected with reason: Authentication failed”. Try again, go to “My interactive sessions” page, refresh the page and try again same error, until 4th try I get “New connection has been rejected with reason: Too many
authentication failures. Connections temporarily blocked”.

Running on:
ondemand 2.0.34
Rocky Linux 8
selinux currently in permissive

I’ve seen few posts similar to this issue but none with a workaround or resolution.

already bumped pun_max_retries: 25

Looking for suggestions,

Regards,
Jesse Waters

Add additional information:
The usl is not being updated between re-launches.

1st Time I connect
https://www.mysite.loc/pun/sys/dashboard/noVNC-1.1.0/vnc.html?utf8=✓&autoconnect=true&path=rnode%2Fnode1.mysite.loc%2F63353%2Fwebsockify&resize=remote&password=YnJRDPA8&compressionsetting=9&qualitysetting=9&commit=Launch+Desktop+-+Ondemand+Shared+node

When I close out of my webbrowser and login and try to relaunch the desktop the url password is still the same. To get around “grep ^password connection.yml” and replace the new random password in the url and I can reconnect.

How is the url generated and password slurped in between re-launches?

Hi Jesse.

Thanks for the post. I’ll look into this today, and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
-gerald

Hey Jesse.

I believe this will solve your problem. Please see the following discourse topic.

Thank you for the response. This is not the issue I am experiencing.

After clicking launch button the url password is not getting updated with current content in connection.yml. After every successful connection, the connection.yml is updated with a new random password.

alittle more info
when I reboot the open ondemand web server and try to re-launch an interactive application it works. What ever process pulls in the current password from connection.yml.

restarting http and nginx_clean/restart web server from web-ui, does not pull in the current password.

This is not a software issue w/open ondemand. Its my underlying shared storage.
nfs fronted beegfs (bad idea)

1 Like

@jesse.waters
We experienced the same issue because our OnDemand node was VM and jobs were
launched over GPFS compute. We had the same issue with connections.yml not updating/syncing
GPFS vs NFS mounted GPFS. After trying everything, we decided to switch the OnDemand node
to have IB and mount GPFS directly which solved the issue.

But I am curious to see if you figured out the underlying shared storage issue and was it related to NFS?

Thanks!
Bhushan

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.