Populate user email address in the forms from REMOTE_USER

Is there a way I can pull the current user’s email address to automatically populate a field in the form.yml and submit.yml files for an interactive vnc submit?

Ultimately, I would like to add the option to my form which will enable slurm to email the user when the current session is at 50,80,90, and 100% time limit. You have implemented a similar option with the “bc_email_on_started” option, and I would like to just pull the user’s email to add it into the submit.yml automatically based on the current user.

Thanks,
Greg

I’m not entirely sure to be honest. There is a previous thread around some questions about how the emailing works, with a suggestion of how to set headers with this information in the cluster config here:

Which is a bit older and was linked form another conversation around getting emails for jobs here:

In short, I’m not sure of a way to pull this to populate the form and submit unless you can glean something from those posts.

Hi everyone, we do this in submit.yml.erb:

<%-
emailcmd = '/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/bin/CHPCEmailLookup.sh ’ + ENV[“USER”]
emailaddr = %x[ #{emailcmd}]
-%>

batch_connect:
template: vnc
script:
email: <%= emailaddr %>

The /uufs/chpc.utah.edu/sys/bin/CHPCEmailLookup.sh is a script that matches the Linux user name with the e-mail address in our database. That is more robust than the previous setting we had:
email: <%= ENV[“USER”] %>@utah.edu
because some users use other e-mail addresses than our domain.

You could do the same thing in the form.yml.erb to display the e-mail address in the submission form.

HTH.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the feedback. I ended up using a text input widget for the email address within the form, then calling that variable in the submit.yml like this:

… “–mail-user”, “#{email}”, “–mail-type”, “TIME_LIMIT_50,TIME_LIMIT_80,TIME_LIMIT_90,TIME_LIMIT”]

I didn’t realize how easy this was to implement, so I am happy with the result =)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.