Running a script on user logs in

Continuing the discussion from Callback or hook to run a script when a user logs in. I’m trying to solve this scenario :

• create the user’s home directory if it doesn’t exists
  • generate SSH keys if not present

I’m using AD auth and SSSD have been configured with a fallback home directory. In addition I’ve added a script in profile.d to generate SSH keys.

That works perfectly when I logon in a shell session and running “su foo” from root.
However when accessing OOD, I’m getting an Home Directory not found error, and even if I create it the script in profile.d is not run.

What would be the best way of implementing this ? How can I get the username if I implement the solution suggested in the link above which is replacing /opt/ood/ondemand/root/usr/sbin/nginx by a bootstrap script ?

Thanks,
Xavier

You can try the pun_pre_hook_root_cmd. This will run in a root context, so you’ll have to su to the user. It’s what we use to set up kubernetes credentials before the pun boots up.

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/reference/files/ood-portal-yml.html?highlight=pre_hook

1 Like

So I confirm that adding a pun_pre_hook_roo_cmd calling a script works.
This script simply contains these lines :

#!/bin/bash
su - $2

$2 may change at some point in the future. I mean I see how easy that is for you, and I don’t anticipate it changing, but there interface there is named parameters (i.e., --user <someuser>).

Just something to be aware of - again, I don’t anticipate it changing, but I chose to use named parameters for this reason, so we could change the order if required (and believe documentation reflects that).

Make sense, will do the update accordingly

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.