Shell and VNC Desktop not working with ipad/ios

We’ve noticed that the shell and novnc desktop app don’t seem to work for us on ipad/ios. Working fine on desktop across multiple browsers though…

For the shell the following errors appears:
Failed to establish a websocket connection. Be sure you are using a browser that supports websocket connections.

The vnc just doesn’t connect, we’re guessing for a similar websocket reason. I haven’t been able to check the dev console one mobile yet, since the process is a bit different then the desktop that we’re used to (need to tether the ipad to dekstop to formally enter dev mode) and our team here hasn’t done a lot of ios stuff before.

Rstudio does work, as well as the usual file and job mgmt.

We are using ondemand 3.1.0-0.1.start.1, websockify 0.11

googling and poking around in mobile safari, there is an advanced option " NSURLSession WebSocket" that you can check/uncheck, but that didn’t seem to change anything.

What authentication do you use? I think there’s some issue with Basic authentication, Apple devices and websockets.

I.e., Apple products/software won’t create webosckets over basic authentication.

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/issues/overview.html?highlight=safari#novnc-does-not-work-with-safari-and-apache-basic-auth

Yes, you are correct, we are using Basic in a convoluted way. We are using Azure App Proxy to secure our exposure of Ondemand to the internet, but we were unsuccessful in getting the SAML to pass through so resorted to a double login (first is SAML for Azure AD, then Basic).

We figured the small inconvenience of being presented with a double login once in a while was worth it, but looks like Basic actually is limiting usage…

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.