Troubles with bc_desktop on Rocky8

I cannot start xfce or mate, or gnome for that matter, sessions. All the time I get the error:
Script starting…
Generating connection YAML file…
The system default contains no modules
(env var: LMOD_SYSTEM_DEFAULT_MODULES is empty)
No changes in loaded modules

Launching desktop ‘mate’…
cat: /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/xdg/autostart/mate-volume-control-applet.desktop: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/xdg/autostart/rhsm-icon.desktop: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/xdg/autostart/spice-vdagent.desktop: No such file or directory
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (mate-session:24902): WARNING **: 15:20:45.168: Cannot open display:
Desktop ‘mate’ ended…
Cleaning up…

OR:

Script starting…
Generating connection YAML file…
The system default contains no modules
(env var: LMOD_SYSTEM_DEFAULT_MODULES is empty)
No changes in loaded modules

Launching desktop ‘xfce’…
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
xfce4-session: Cannot open display: .
Type ‘xfce4-session --help’ for usage.
Desktop ‘xfce’ ended…
Cleaning up…

Any help is really appreciated. We are on Rocky 8.7 on the compute node. I had no issues on CentOS 7.x

Hello and welcome!

Sorry for the issues and that I’m not going to have a great answer on this one. Thank you first for posting the output.log, would it be possible to see the vnc.log from the session as well?

I’ve seen some variations around this now with Rocky 8 and the compute nodes having issues with the desktops. Unfortunately all we have are some other similar posts for users facing this:

So far it looks like for various users the key has been either to roll back to CentOS7 or to debug further and figure out the correct packages needed.

This is something we have on our radar to look into more when time allows as you can see from the last post. Sorry I don’t have a better answer at the moment for you though, but the vnc.log would be nice to see to try and replicate on my end.

There is no vnc.log file created

Sounds like vnc never even runs. Which vnc server are you using on the compute node?

We have installed TurboVNC at location /opt/turbovnc. I created symlinks to the vncserver and vncpasswd executables in the /usr/bin

Thanks for that.

What version of OOD are you using on the web-node and what is the OS? Also, what are you using for vnc on the web-node side?

We run ood node on Centos 7.x and the version is 2.0.29
ondemand.x86_64 2.0.29-1.el7 @ondemand-web

I don’t understand this question: Also, what are you using for vnc on the web-node side?

It’s working/ I made a mistake in trying to create a development entry in sessions for bc_desktop in my home directory to test xfce4 session on Rocky 8. I think the vnc hint help me try the new Rocky8 image with the current production bc_desktop application.
Thank you for your help
Dacian

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.