Using the linux_host adaptor without using singularity

We have been using the linux_host adaptor to launch interactive desktops on the OOD host node using singularity containers – after a bit of tweaking, that works great.

Now I want to launch an interactive application on the OOD host node, but using singularity containers is a bit of overkill. I still would want to use the ssh → tmux mechanism to track/manage the sessions, but I want to launch the application directly. Is there a mechanism to do that?

I see an old thread from 2021 where this concept was suggested (Case for an “interactive desktop” directly on OOD server), but nothing seems to have happened …

Thanks!

Ed

Hi Ed,

I never ended up having billable time to work on a POC but maybe Jeff or Travis know of some work done internally.

We have a systemd adapter that uses systemd timers, though I don’t think we ever got around to documenting it because it was user contributed and I thought I’d get around to fixing it up/changing the APIs maybe. So it remains undocumented because it’s still subject to change, even though it’s there. I guess you’d have to read the source code to see how to configure it, but it’s a lot like the linux_host adapter.