VNC screenshot from command line

Is it possible to take a screenshot of an active VNC session and then as time of the job is running out an email can be send to the user with a screenshot of the session to record the status of the job before it dies?

I have taken a look at vncsnapshot software from 2004 which seems to create a grey jpg so maybe the encoding is an issue. I wonder if noVNC has a method to grab a single frame. Anyone tried this?

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the feature request. I’ll speak with team today, and see what our options are.

I’ll let you by way of discourse.

Thanks,
-gerald

Interesting concept Thomas. I’m a bit curious what specific use cases you have in mind that this would provide value to the user? I might not be creative enough, but I can’t think of anything off the top of my head that would be running in a VNC session unattended that a screenshot of would help the user.

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to consider it. On occasions I get support calls saying a job finished and didnt produce output expected so Slurm job timed out before the screen could be captured and now cannot see what the GUI was reporting (Rstudio is particularly sensitive to memory and hitting limits). I have been contemplating the way to manage interactive jobs and looking at ways of just reminding the user that a job is running at 90% of time requested and thought a capture of the output would be a good idea to report what it is currently showing.

Tom

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the details. I’ll get back with you as soon as I know more information.

Thanks,
-gerald