/bin/true account access to OnDemand

We just had a first occasion of someone with locked account (we set the shell to /bin/true) to log onto our OnDemand instance. And they could log in because their account was still active in the authentication service (campus CAS). They could see the OOD interface, their files, submit jobs, but, the jobs did not work because the compute nodes would log them out (since their shell is /bin/true).

So, we are wondering if you had any thoughts how could we prevent users from also logging to OOD if their authentication still works, but, their shell does not. We’ll be brainstorming that here too.

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin. Good news, I think the setting you are looking for can be seen here under disabled_shell:
https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/reference/files/nginx-stage-yml.html?highlight=disabled_shell

Let me know if that works.

Hi Travis,

thanks for making us aware of this. Looknig at the docs, it’s not clear to me what would one put to the “disabled_shell”. The example/default in the docs says disabled_shell: "/access/denied", what does that mean? There’s no file /access/denied.

The idea should be to point to the shell you want to deny access to. So, in the example I believe the string “/access/denied” is trying to convey that idea. So you are disabling the path you hand the setting is the intent i believe.

OK, so if we set it to say “/bin/bash”, the user will be denied accessing bash?

How would that affect the nginx? We already disable the shells by setting the user’s shell to “/bin/true”, our goal is to make nginx aware of that and not start even if the user authenticates with the CAS.

This means that anyone with /bin/bash will be denied - which is the opposite of what you want.

You want this setting so that you disable anyone who as the shell /bin/true.

disabled_shell: "/bin/true"

disabled_shell means anyone with this shell is disabled.

Thanks Jeff, that worked like a charm.

One more question - can we put more than one value to this, eg
disabled_shell: "/bin/true,/bin/false"

Thanks,
MC

I’d have to check to confirm - but I doubt it. Symlinks may help here - but I’m not quite sure why one disabled user would have true and another false neither are actual shells so I’m not sure what one signifies over the other.

Thanks,it’s OK as it is, but more would add flexibility. We are thinking about doing something else than /bin/true, so, if we do, we’d have to remember to change the disabled_shell to this new value.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.