Trying to follow installation instructions, help!

Hi All,

I am trying to install OOD on a clean CentOS 7.7 using the “source” method. I have installed collections, did all the things up to this page:

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/master/installation/from-source/finalizing.html

The “Add apache config” command,

sudo /opt/ood/ood-portal-generator/sbin/update_ood_portal

fails with

opt/rh/rh-ruby24/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require': cannot load such file -- dotenv (LoadError)
	from /opt/rh/rh-ruby24/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
	from /opt/ood/ood-portal-generator/lib/ood_portal_generator.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
	from /opt/rh/rh-ruby24/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'

COuld anyone suggest what to do? Thank you very much in advance!

Grigory Shamov

You’d probably have to enable the SCL in the command, something like this:

sudo scl enable ondemand -- /opt/ood/ood-portal-generator/sbin/update_ood_portal Or have it enabled already (I tend to source these things in my ~/.bashrc so I always have it).

Though building from source is for advanced and/or Debian users. I don’t know if there’s any benefit in building the source on a CentOS machine when the RPMs are available. Can you let us know why you’re installing from source. Also, feel to use/contribute to the automation we wrote so you don’t have to do this by hand. But again, it’s geared toward installing RPMs on a CentOS system or the by the source in Debian - I don’t know of any users trying to install by source in CentOS so it probably wouldn’t work for you just yet without some updates.

Did not work, gives same error.
Benefit from taking the source way: well, a thing documented should work and work as documented. It also probably allows for getting recent apps from Github repositories?

1 Like

Yea I can’t really argue with your first point! I think you’re absolutely right.

The only major update we have in 1.7 (besides various bug fixes and so on) is the linux host adapter. As to what apps exist that can use it? I don’t believe there are many, if any that are used in a production environment.

That said, you can pull that in version 1.7.4+ from our CI repository. There are RPMs for 1.7.4 - 1.7.7rc3. Use the RPM below to enable the CI repo.

https://yum.osc.edu/ondemand/latest/ondemand-release-web-latest-1-6.noarch.rpm