Ssh connection button in Intractive Apps does not work

We have a strange situation happening that we would appreciate the OOD developers to give us some guidelines on how to troubleshoot.

We have 4 OOD servers, one still running CentOS7, and three running Rocky 8. In the CentOS7 and one Rocky 8 OOD servers, the ssh connection button that allows to open a terminal on a node that runs an Interactive App, works fine. I.e. it opens an OOD terminal app in a new browser tab and connects to the compute node.

However, on the 2 other OOD servers, which happen to be our production servers, pushing the button results in the following message in a new browser tab:

Failed to establish a websocket connection. Be sure you are using a browser that supports websocket connections.

The OOD Interactive App works fine, that is, VNC remote desktops and servers like Jupyter work, we have the reverse proxy set up, etc.

We have been comparing the OOD system, nginx and Apache logs on the Rocky 8 OOD server that does work, and on one that does not, and don’t see any difference. We are also fairly sure that the settup on these two servers is very similar (I don’t want to say identical, it should, but, these servers are manually configured so we may have missed something).

We are wondering if there would be some suggestions what to look at further to try to find the difference between these two servers and fixing the problem.

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin, thanks for the post.

The place to start would be to see if you have the OOD_SSHHOST_ALLOWLIST set to allow for them to ssh.

You can see the docs for that here:
https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/customization.html?highlight=ood_sshhost_allowlist

If you’ve already set that and it still won’t work, let me know though.

Thanks Travis, that did it. In the semi-automated OOD setup script that I ran during the Rocky 8 setup, I was not creating the /etc/ood/config/apps/shell directory and as such the subsequent wget of /etc/ood/config/apps/shell/env failed. Plus, I also did not “chmod a+x /var/www/ood/apps/sys/shell/bin/ssh” to make that executable.

So, these changes have fixed the issue and hopefully it won’t happen again since I changed the setup script as well.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.