Alphabetical order of Interactive Apps subcategories

For some reason, our Interactive Desktop app, in the Desktops subcategory, shows at the bottom of the Interactive Apps menu list, and I can’t figure out why. It looks like the menu list order is alphabetical for the subcategories, and then the actual menu items, right?

We have specific category (group) list in /etc/ood/config/ondemand.d/ondemand.yml.erb, as:

nav_bar:
  # - apps
  - files
  - jobs
  - clusters
  - interactive apps
  - classes
  - my interactive sessions

That is, removing the apps since they also show in the interactive_apps. But including or removing it does not change the order of the menu list, which is like:

IDEs
  Ansys
  Matlab
Desktops
 Interactive Desktop

I want the Desktops on the top and if it were truly ordered alphabetically, it should be on the top.

The desktop app has this in manifest.yml, which is pretty standard:

name: Interactive Desktop
icon: fa://desktop
category: Interactive Apps
subcategory: Desktops

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Hello,

I am able to reproduce this issue by over-riding the default nav_bar settings like you have - basically the default is alphabetical, but if you override the default in any way, it’s another order. This is not expected behavior, so I have created an issue for it on GitHub (nav_bar subcategory order should be alphabetical when not specified · Issue #3343 · OSC/ondemand · GitHub).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks for finding and fixing the issue with the subcategories order.

I suspect there’s another bug when the ondemand.yml.erb enumerates the menu items as I outlined before - the Develop menu item shows up even if there are no items in /var/www/ood/apps/dev. It’s my understanding based on reading Enabling App Development — Open OnDemand 3.0.3 documentation that the Develop menu should only show up for a user that has their link in /var/www/ood/apps/dev.
Thanks.